Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Just because I enjoy romantic movies doesn't mean I want them to happen im my life...

So I was thinking after my last post that people are going to get the wrong impression. I'm really not as cynical about love as I may seem. I think that being in love and loving someone is great! But, I don't want someone to "complete" me. (ahem, Jerry McGuire) I also don't want to fall in love with someone and wait years and go through countless other relationships before we finally get it together (insert pretty much any romantic movie here). I also don't find DYING overlly romantic, thus any Nicholas Sparks based-on-the-book movie is not for me. (I'll explain The Notebook) This isn't to say that I don't love romantic movies just like any other woman. I just don't necessarily want some of this to happen in my life.

So, you're asking yourself right now, what are Kimmi's favorite romantic movies? Well, you're in luck! Here's a list of them for you! (In no particular order...but if you think about it, subliminally there might be a significance. Nothing is every truly unintentional)

Love Actually
*I know that it might be a little cliche to have the first movie on my list, but there are so many plots that it's like watching a bunch of movies at once. I love Liam Neeson and his son and, even though I'm not a huge Hugh Grant fan, I loved the story with him and the "chubby" girl. As Adam from work said, "That's they way you bring together a ton of big stars and keep it entertaining" (If you haven't seen He's Just Not That Into You, don't. It wasn't bad, but it's definitely not worth your 10 bucks.)

Pretty Woman
All you have to do is read any discription of this movie to know why I love it. A hooker gets taken in by a wealthy businessman, who falls in love with her. Come on! That's awesome! Plus, it's Julia Roberts and Richard Gere. You can't go wrong

10 Thing I Hate About YOu
This is where my love affair with Heath Ledger started. I know this isn't really a "romantic" movie, but it's funny and you get to see a cynical, independent woman fall in love with a guy that can keep up with her. I like to ignore the fact that she is going off to Sarah Lawerence and they probably didn't last very long.

The Notebook
Ok, there is a formula that every single Nicholas Sparks story has. Two people from "different sides of the tracks" fall in love, have an epic romance, and then one of them dies. A Walk to Remember, Message in a Bottle, Nights in Rodanthe, the list could go on. He has been very successful with this formula and has never strayed away from it. I kind of hate him for this. However, The Notebook is different. The book sticks to the formula, but the movie doesn't. Yes, they are from different sides of the tracks, but they live their life and then die together. They might not have had an easy life, but it was a good life. I hate to admit it, but this one is really good.

The Way We Were
How can you not love this move? Barbara and Robert. Heartache. Love. Laughter. Communism. Seriously, it doesn't get better than that. Plus, even though they break up and she sees him with his simple wife, she looks happy and remains herself. I really love it.

There are, of course, more of these that I love. But honestly, these are ones that I can watch over and over again and never get tired of. Although, I need to update a few to DVD because I've pretty much worn out the VHS!

No comments: