Monday, November 10, 2008

Old people can be so funny..

I went to visit my grandparents this past weekend. I always love going to see them because it's very relaxing not to feel like I have to do anything. My grandparents are really great people, even if we don't have to same views or beliefs in many areas.

My grandma and I went to lunch as soon as I got there on Saturday afternoon. She and I always go out for Mexican food when I go down there because Grandpa is not particularly fond of it. At lunch, I told her that I really didn't think that law school was the best path for me and that I didn't think I was going to go. She was a little surprised, but true to form, very understanding. Then we just talked about what I wanted to do and what she saw me doing and things like that. She agreed that I should probably move where I think I'll have the best opportunity, although she did bring up a really good point. I should look more for the smaller companies rather than the large ones right away. I would have a better chance of getting a job and I would probably learn more, despite the fact that I would be making nothing. But, now that I've really thought about it, I'm ok with not making any money for a few years if it means helping me to be successful later on. I mean, I don't want to be living in box on the street, but not having money is something I could definitely adjust to.

We went back to the house afterward and I went out to the "community" pool and did some laps. The pool is right outside their house, and it's heated, so it's not as gross as some "community" pools. It was nice to swim for a little bit, and about an hour after I was done, I realized that maybe I'd swam harder than I thought because I was a little sore!

Then, we watched Cal lose :( and talked some more about my options. My cousin Lisa called and so I talked to her for a little bit. She offered to take a look at my resume and have her husband maybe float it so someone who can help me on my job search. I'm not going to get my hopes up, but every little bit helps!

The highlight of the weekend had to be when my grandpa shared his feelings about Sarah Palin. My mom had told me that he liked Sarah Palin a lot, so I asked him if that was true. He said, "Oh yeah. She can clean my rifle any time." Now, my grandfather is the king of cheesy jokes, but innuendos are usually left to the youngsters. I almost fell out of my chair laughing and my grandma was a mix of being horrified and thinking it was hilarious. I guess I now know where I get my ability to make anything into a dirty joke!

We played UpWords, which is basically like Scrabble but better. I'm awful at it, but my Grandma is really good. Grandpa joined us and he did what he always does: he tried to make up words and we had to look up half the words he came up with. The worst was "sorb" a word that my computer right now doesn't even recognize, but it's in the Scrabble Word Index, so it counted. I had to look it up afterward and it turns out it's a type of tree. He ended up winning because of that word. Grandma was not happy.

On Sunday, we went to a bar to hear this jazz band that plays every Sunday afternoon for a large group of old people. The band itself is pretty old (I would say the youngest player is probably 55), but the crowd was definitely the oldest people in the desert. I was the youngest person there by 60 years at least. The waitressed and the bartenders were all at least 40, too. It was funny. The band was good though and it was fun to see my grandparents enjoying themselves so much.

I came home last night and now have to go work, which as usual, I'm not looking forward to. But it was good to be able to spend the weekend with my grandparents and get away from everything for a few days.

No comments: