Wednesday, December 31, 2008

10 days in...

My attempts at my small resolutions have not been going well. Actually, that’s not true. It’s going ok. I would say I'm about 50/50 and I haven’t given up yet!

I have been reading the front page, but not everyday unfortunately. I have made more of an effort to read the full stories when I read the headlines, rather than just reading the first line. Most days, I get through all the actual stories on the very front page, but then can’t get through the rest of the front page section. I’ve also been skipping a lot of the stories because not only do I not care, but they are worthless stories. Is it really news that some guy’s dog has survived for 20 years after being told he would only live a month because of some rare disease? If the dog had outlived all of his owners because they all became infected with this rare disease, then I might think it was worth reading. Or maybe if it was an inspiring news article that made me cry about all of my dogs that have died over the year. But no. It was a crappy story about a damn dog that lived. I wanted the 5 minutes I wasted reading that back. Now, the fact that Christine Maggiore died and they don’t know if it was linked to AIDS, that’s something I call news. It does exactly what I think news should: it makes me think. Now I vaguely knew that she was an activist who challenged the “mainstream” belief that HIV causes AIDs, but I had never really looked into why she believed this. Now, I’m going to look into some of the things she brought up. Whether or not I agree with what she says isn’t important, it’s that I’m expanding my knowledge and my opinions. So far, this goal goes in the “just a little more effort” column.

The next one was to update my blog more often. I have sucked thus far. I would normally try to make excuses like it was Xmas and I was busy, or I was at my grandparent’s house and didn’t bring my laptop, or that my internet has been all wonky and I couldn’t post anything. All of this is true, but at the same time, if I had really made the effort, then I wouldn’t need to make excuses. This one goes in the “work harder, fucker” column.

I think my most successful one so far is to make and eat at least one meal at home per day. I might have cheated a little bit at my grandparent’s house, but I’m not overly disappointed. I think this one is going into the “yay” column…at least for now!

The next one was to stop complaining so much about work. I’m not going to lie; I have failed miserably. There are just too many things to complain about, so I’m just going to have to start accepting this and move on, rather than boring everyone else with my bitching. It’s not really beneficial for anyone but me. So far, this one is in the “you’re failing, dumbass” category.

The last one is also something I would also put “yay!” category is the walking more. I haven’t necessarily been walking around the block, but I have been walking more. Yesterday, for example, I walked around the mall quite a bit, which sounds like a total Valley Girl thing to say, but I definitely felt the burn. Plus I helped out the economy. It might not be exactly what I set out to do, but the end result is all the same, so I’m just as happy about it.

Overall, I feel like I’m doing ok. If I can manage to keep up with my blog and stop complaining about work, then this whole thing may turn out to be a success! Then I can start thinking about my resolution for the next thirty days…

No comments: