Thursday, October 2, 2008

Attempting to change...

The other night, my co-worker Chad told me that my "customer service voice" (basically an uber-fake, bubbly, high pitched version of my normal speaking voice that makes customers think I really love my job and would do anything to please them when in my head I'm really thinking about how dumb they are) has become "diminished." I thought about this and I realized that he was totally right. I no longer am able to fake the fact that I hate my job.

So yesterday, I thought about what I was going to do. I came to a decision that the only thing for me to do is change my attitude because all the other bullshit I deal with everyday at work is out of my control. And to my surprise, it actually worked.

I had to open, which is usually the #1 reason I hate my job. I am not a very happy person at 4:15 am so me trying to be a responsible shift supervisor and be a people pleaser is a lot to ask of me, but today, with my newfound positivity, was really not too bad. Sure, there are things that I had issues with, but rather than being angry and spending the day bitching about it, I just went with it and let it be. My shift went by really fast and it went smoother than any other shift I've run. The only thing I changed was the way I was looking at it and the way I was treating customers. I made a real effort to use my "customer service voice" and it really went the way I wanted it to.

The thing is, it's a lot easier to be angry and annoyed and negative then it is to just be positive and upbeat. If I am surly and show everyone how much I don't want to be there, I no one wants to be there with me. Or, since I complain in such a comical manner, everyone laughs at the harsh reality of what I'm saying and they become negative. It takes no effort. There is no thought or work that goes into it. But a part of living is challenging yourself to become better at whatever you choose to do, so my new challenge is to become more positive and instead of complaining about the things I can't change, I'm going to make the most of the things I can.

No comments: