Saturday, February 28, 2009

Holy crap, I'm growing up...

My cousin Cheryl has a baby. My cousin Lisa is pregnant. Ed got married. Iisha has her Master's. Beckie is going to be a doctor soon. Molly is in Spain. C is in New York. People call me Kimberly. Now, the real proof that I am getting older, I am planning my first Bachelorette Party. Is it sad that I'm more excited about this than I am about...well anything?

Here's the story: My good friend Torrey is getting married, but she's doing it in Hawaii. Unfortunately, in my current financial state, I am not able to make it to the wedding. I really can't even begin to say how sad I am that I can't make it happen, but, my other friend and I have decided that since we can't make the big shindig to celebrate her nuptials, we might as well throw her the best "exiting the single world" party ever! Although we haven’t gotten beyond the “we are going to plan you a bachelorette party!” phase, I’m sure it’s going to fun.

The thing is, it’s made me really think about how old I’m getting. I mean, not “old” in the Denny’s-early-bird-special kind of way, but in the my-friends-and-family-are-getting-married-and-having-kids-and-working-real-jobs-following-their-dreams kind of way. I have friends that are going to med school and have gotten their Master’s and are making money. Not necessarily great money, but anything beyond minimum wage is a step up.

I pay bills. I go to bars. I have friends in different cities, states and even countries. I drink coffee. A lot. I do and have all of these things that, five years ago, I considered only grownups to have or do. Now, thinking about it, it’s really strange. Although, I wouldn’t really consider myself a grownup. I still enjoy cartoons and the color pink and, come on, what’s more fun than coloring?

*So, as a little update: I was on the phone with Cierra earlier and we realized that we have been friends for 10 years. If that doesn't give me the "Holy shit, I'm getting older feeling" then I don't know what will....

No comments: